Last Updated on February 14, 2019 by Kristi Linauer
Well, it’s the 22nd day of the month, and I’m finally crossing the first completed project off of my “to do” list for the month. 😀 I got my pantry doors finished! These doors are actually bifold closet doors that I bought from Home Depot, and then I proceeded to remove all of the bilfold door hardware and install the doors as French doors on my pantry.
If you missed the first part of this project, you can see it here:
And now, here’s how the finished doors look…
So let me show you how I finished these doors…
On the last post about my pantry doors, I left off with them looking like this, with a big gap between the top of the doors and the top door jamb…
To make the necessary adjustments, I started by removing all of the door facings. It looks terrible because I have a thing for construction adhesive. 😀
In order for the new top jamb to be where it needed to be, I needed to add a 1.25-inch spacer. I used a scrap piece of 1 x 6 lumber, ripped down to fit the width of the door jamb. (1″ lumber is actually only 3/4″ thick.) And I also added a layer of 1/2-inch plywood. Those two pieces together made up the 1.25-inch spacer that I needed. Then I nailed the new top jamb to the plywood/lumber spacer.
It wasn’t pretty, but it did the job. That placed the top jamb just above the door, right where it should be.
I then attached the stops to the top and side jambs.
And then I reinstalled all of the door facings.
I also decided to add the same decorative trim to these doors that I added to the bifold-doors-turned-double-doors that I used on my bathroom for completely privacy. (Click here to see that project.) It’s virtually impossible to completely close the gap between the doors, and while privacy isn’t an issue on a pantry, I didn’t like the light coming through the window and shining through that small space between the doors.
So I attached a 1-inch piece of trim on the front of the left door, covering the small space.
You can see here how it sticks out past the front edge of the door…
And then I attached the same trim to the back side of the right door.
Another benefit of adding this trim is that I’ll now be able to open both doors at the same time with one hand. I’m right handed, so I made sure to add the back trim to the right door. That way, when I reach for the right handle and pull, the back trim on the right side door will pull against the left door and open it as well.
And then it was just a matter of priming, sanding, and painting the doors, and recaulking and touching up the door facings.
In order to keep the doors closed, I installed a ball catch (click here to see what that looks like) on the top of the left door. I also added these pretty 12-inch handles that I found. (You can find them here.)
So project #1 for the month is finished. Hmmmm…I’m starting to think maybe I won’t be meeting my goals for the month. 😀 That’s okay. At least I’m making progress!
My pantry is finished! Want to see the entire project from start to finish? You can find every single post about the pantry build right here…
Or you can skip to the end and see how it turned out. Here’s a peek of the finished pantry…
You can see more pictures on the before and after post right here…
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!