I finished the basic build of my DIY console table yesterday, and I actually had to do the last 20 minutes of work by the light of my iPhone. But I got it done!
Please note that this is a multi-post project. If you missed Part 1 of this project, click the title below.
Of course, this is the basic build, which means that I still have all of the finishing and final touches — wood filling, sanding, staining or painting, adding hardware, etc. But so far, this is what it looks like…
At the end of Part 1 of this project, the progress looked like this…
I built the console table upside down, and I had build the top case and attached the large leg pieces.
Before continuing with the build, I stripped the paint off of the legs. I also ended up removing them from the original positions (I had inset them too far), adding trim around the bottom of the the top section, and then placing the legs back on as close to the corners as possible. (You can see the trim and new leg placement in the photo below.)
Then I built the lower shelf the same way I did the top of the table, except that on this shelf I added 1 x 2’s on all four sides. I built this right-side-up, using the legs as a worktop.
With the lower shelf put together, I flipped it over and attached it to the large leg sections with wood glue and 16-gauge 2-inch nails through the shelf plywood and into the legs.
Then I attached the smaller leg portions to the bottom of the lower shelf. You can see that I used a different portion than I had originally planned. As it turns out, the pieces I had originally planned to use as the short lower leg pieces looked way too skinny and skimpy for such a large console table.
And yes, a reasonable person would have stripped those before attaching them, but I was way too anxious to get this build finished. 😀
I was finally ready to set the console table right side up…
Next, it was on to the drawers. I started by cutting pieces of plywood using my table saw to fit inside the drawer openings, allowing about 1/16 inch of space around each side of the drawer front.
Then I cut 1″ x 6″ lumber to the lengths needed to form the sides and back of the drawers.
With all of the sides cut for all of the drawers, I ran all of the pieces through the table saw with the blade set to cut 1/4 inch into the wood, 3/4 inch from the edge. This was to create a channel for the drawer bottom to fit into, and I had to run all of the pieces through, then move the blade over 1/8 inch and run them all through again in order to create a channel wide enough to fit the 1/4-inch MDF that I used for the drawer bottoms.
To assemble the drawers, I started by using the edge of a 1″ x 2″ scrap of lumber to mark 3/4 inch on each end of the drawer front. (Remember that 1″ lumber is actually 3/4″ thick.)
And then I used that line as a guide to know where to attach the drawer sides. Those sides were attached with wood glue and pocket screws.
Then I cut a piece of 1/4-inch MDF to fit the bottom of the drawer (cut to the inside dimensions plus 1/2 inch both directions). Then I slid the MDF into the channels on the sides and drawer front.
Then I attached the back of the drawer with wood glue and brad nails, checking for square before nailing the back into place.
Since I always have so much scrap wood on hand, I decided to build basic drawer guides rather than purchasing and installing metal drawer glides. On a piece of furniture where the drawers won’t be used on a daily basis, this type of simple drawer guide works just fine. I ripped pieces of 1″ lumber into pieces that are one inch wide, and cut them in length to fit the sides of the drawer just behind the drawer front. I attached them 1.5 inches from the bottom of the drawers.
And then I used two more strips of lumber, also ripped to one inch wide, and positioned them inside the case so that the guides on the side of the drawers would slide right between these guides.
Each side of each drawer required three of the wood strips — two for the drawer and four to be attached inside the case. That means I needed 36 strips total.
And with them all attached, I was finished with the basic build.
And now the tedious part begins. This will require lots of wood filling, sanding, and patience to get it from this point to completely finished, but I’m so pleased with how it has turned out so far!
Please note that this is a multi-post project. If you missed Part 1, click the title below…
And to see the third and final post on this credenza project, click the title below…
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.