I feel like I’ve been in a holding pattern for the last few days as I gave my hand time to rest and heal (it was injured in a drill attack, which you can read about here), and then waited for the contractor to get back with me with an estimate for the work that needs to be done in the studio.
He got back with me yesterday morning, and let’s just say that the number was about $3000 more than I had expected. For finishing the electrical work, rerouting the ductwork, insulating the ceiling and walls with spray foam insulation, and drywalling to a smooth finish, the total came to just under $11,000.
That price includes the drywall and all of the drywall supplies, and it also includes the contractor’s markup, which he’s always very upfront about. Of course contractors have to include a markup. That’s how they make their money. But they earn that markup by being the one to schedule the subs, make sure the subs do what they’re supposed to do, handle the subs when they don’t do what they’re supposed to do, making sure that all of the supplies are at the jobsite when they need to be, plus carrying the insurance and workman’s comp needed to protect a homeowner against liability in the event that a sub is injured on the job site.
And while I understand all of that from a practical standpoint, my DIYer’s heart wants to cry because I want to save money.
But in the end, Matt and I agree that going ahead and hiring it out is the way to go. There might be some money-saving opportunities in there somewhere. For example, Mike said that he estimated a two-day job for the electrical, and a two-day job for the HVAC ductwork. I personally can’t see either one of those taking two days (especially the ductwork), so those line items may be much less.
Mike also estimated three weeks for the whole job, depending on when the subs can be scheduled for the project. So that means I need to find other ways to occupy my time while they’re working on the studio.
I’ve decided that I’ll primarily focus on my kitchen and get the remaining three or four projects in there finish.
Remember how I was working on some organization projects at the end of last year? I transformed the cabinet to the left of my stove from this mess…
…to this organized cabinet with three pull-out shelves…
If you missed that project, you can see more of it here…
So I want to continue with the organization projects and finish the other three that I have planned.
The first one will be a similar pull-out on the right side of the stove for my frying pans and lids, as well as my cast iron grill pan. It’s going to look more like the slotted bakeware drawer that I did in the pantry…
If you missed that one, you can see it here…
In addition to that skillet cabinet, I also want to turn one of the three-drawer cabinets into pull-out cans for trash and recycling.
And finally, I’ll be removing the dishwasher and creating pull-out basket drawers using the three custom-made baskets I ordered from Amish Baskets at the end of last year…
So while I’m disappointed that I won’t personally be making any progress on the studio in the next few weeks, it will feel good to finally get all of my organization projects completed for the kitchen.
And if I get all of those things done, and they’re still working on the studio, I can always start reupholstering the chairs for the living room. I finally ordered…and received…the fabric for the two chairs that I plan to use in the living room…
I had been planning on taking the chairs to the upholsterer and having them done while I worked on the studio, but now that we’re paying to have so much work done on the studio, I think I’ll save that $1200 and reupholster them myself.
So that’s the direction I’ll be heading in the next few weeks. I just didn’t want y’all to be shocked and think that I’ve forgotten about the studio, or that I got sidetracked, or that I’m procrastinating. And of course, I’ll keep y’all in the loop as things progress on the studio over the next few weeks as well.
Helpful sources and products:
- Amish Baskets – This is where I ordered the baskets I’ll use on the pull-outs in my kitchen. This is the only place I could find that will make custom, made-to-order baskets in any size you need.
- P/Kaufmann Paint Palette Punch – This is the floral fabric shown above that I plan to use on the living room chairs.
- Lux Velvet in Azalea – This is the solid velvet fabric that I’ll use on the living room chairs.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!