These last few days have been so productive, and the pantry project is back on track!
In my last post about the pantry (which you can read here), I described how the left wall was so out of square that it was impossible to install cabinets or open shelves on that wall. So I started tearing out drywall to come up with a fix…
And I also mentioned that the ceiling lights would have to be moved because they’re in the way of the tall cabinets on the side walls of the pantry…
Well, I came to my senses and hired out all of those tedious projects to my drywall guys (who actually do more than just drywall). They got it done fast, and while they were working on all of that, I was able to resin 100 more tiles for my backsplash.
(Sorry for the awful nighttime photo!)
That means I now have 200 tiles completely finished, and I only need about 50 more, although I’m going to do a few extras just to be sure I have enough.
I feel so relieved to have all of these things fixed in the pantry. The thought of having to repair drywall and move lights was really stressing me out (I hate dealing with drywall), so deciding to hire it out was such a weight off of my shoulders. I still need to prime and paint the new drywall on the left wall and the areas on the ceiling that had to be patched after the lights were moved, but that’s the easy part.
I had them do the left wall in a very strange way, but it won’t show at all when it’s finished. I had them shim out only the area of wall between the corner and the edge of the freezer cabinet, and re-drywall that section only. That left a vertical line at the edge of the freezer cabinet where the drywall bumps out from the original wall.
The reason that I had them do it that was was simple. I had spend a ridiculous amount of time installing the cabinet box around the freezer and getting it perfectly level, plumb and square with the side wall (i.e., the pantry door wall). And after getting it perfectly into place and shimming it just so, I screwed it to the wall and the floor to keep it perfectly in place so it wouldn’t budge as I installed the rest of the cabinets.
Well, after going to all of that trouble, there was no way I was going to remove that cabinet so that they could add drywall that wouldn’t even show at all once the cabinet is finished. So I just had them square the wall right to the edge of the cabinet and leave the rest alone.
That left that awkward bump out above the cabinet, but I still have to build the upper part of that cabinet, so it will just slide right next to that bump out and cover it up.
Anyway, the good news is that the main area — the 50 inches between the corner and the side of the freezer cabinet — is now square, which will make building my countertop, installing tile, and building upper open shelves so much easier.
I’m really pleased with the new lighting placement in the pantry, and while they were at it, I also had them replace the lights altogether. I never was really pleased with the original lights I had installed in the pantry. There’s no attic space above this room, and there’s only a small amount of space between the drywall and the roof decking. So at the time I bought the original lights, those were the closest I could find to give me the look of recessed lights.
Of course, they looked nothing like actual recessed lights, but they were the lowest profile flush-mount lights of that diameter that I could find. I never did like them, though.
Well, just a few months ago, I was introduced to these super wafer thin recessed LED lights. They’re about a 1/2 inch thick, and can be installed pretty much anywhere since they don’t have any type of box that requires space between the ceiling joists.
And the best part about them is that they come with five different settings so you can choose what type of light you want — from 2700K (very warm lighting) to 5000K (daylight) and three settings in between. I think I chose the middle setting. Super warm lighting is way too yellow for me, but I also don’t light fake daylight lighting. It feels too cold and institutional for me. So the middle setting seemed just perfect.
And the trim kit sits flush with the drywall just like a regular recessed light trim kit does.
So after they finished up with the lights and the drywall, and I finished the next 100 resined tiles, I was able to install the cabinets and get them all level and square, and then start on getting them trimmed out.
I only got the main trim on the main cabinet boxes installed, but I feel like I’m off to the races now. I’ve got square walls, new lights, proper light placement, and smooth drywall. It should be smooth sailing from here on out. 😀
My pantry is finished! Want to see the entire project from start to finish? You can find every single post about the pantry build right here…
Or you can skip to the end and see how it turned out. Here’s a peek of the finished pantry…
You can see more pictures on the before and after post right here…
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!