Well, folks, as of Monday, Matt and I have owned our house for one month. And we’re still not living there. 🙂 Is that weird? Oh well, I’ve never been one to do things the conventional way.
It’s actually been a pretty productive month. Here’s a quick rundown of everything that’s been accomplished, and you’ll notice a “removing/ripping out” theme on most of them:
- Two days after closing, I removed the carpet from all of the original parts of the house that had hardwood floors. And yes, I really did do all of that by myself. In one day. 🙂 The carpet was so old and brittle that it actually tore into strips pretty easily. Unfortunately, all of that carpet and carpet padding is still piled in the sunroom. I dread that job.
- I also proceeded to remove all of the tile from the kitchen (which all popped up very easily), and then I had it and the glue left behind tested for asbestos. Results: Tile, positive for asbestos. Glue, negative for asbestos. Those tiles still sit in my garage while I figure out how to discard them.
- I removed some of the polystyrene ceiling tiles from the hallway. That job is still incomplete.
- I removed the massively overgrown boxwoods from the front of the house, and also finalized my exterior colors that I’ll be using on the house.
- I removed the storm door from the front door.
- I ripped out the 1970s closet from the hallway (definitely one of the most rewarding things I’ve done yet).
- My mom and I removed all of the old baseboards from all of the rooms, which required the plumbers to first remove the original gas valves. I was sad to see them go, but I couldn’t remove baseboards with them there. And I’ve saved them for some creative use in the future.
- I started removing the carpet from the den, only to find more asbestos tiles. That carpet is still only half removed.
- And then, the mother of all projects, I spent two weeks sanding (and sanding, and sanding) and refinishing 1500 square feet of hardwood floors.
- During my breaks from floor refinishing, I also finalized the future floor plan for the house.
- And I also decided on a design plan for our master bedroom.
Phew! Makes me tired just thinking about all of that! 😀 And also during that time, the plumbers came and relocated my hot water heater, added a washer hookup in the correct place (the future utility room/mud room), and rescued my house from generally faulty plumbing, while almost sending me into a rage-filled fury over my hardwood floors. But it all worked out in the end because William, the plumber’s assistant, bravely went where no other man was willing (or physically able) to go — into the tiny scuttle hole and the cramped crawl space beneath my house.
So it’s been quite a month!
I’ve had many of you ask me “What’s next?” and “When are you moving in?” and “What about the condo? You kind of left us hanging!”
Well, here’s the deal. 🙂
I finished the hardwood floors in the house on Saturday, and I’m supposed to leave them alone for seven days.
So you’d think that maybe in seven days we can move in, right? Well, not quite.
You see, at minimum, in order for Matt to move into the house he needs two things: (1) A bathroom that is easily accessible to him (fortunately we have that, so no rush remodeling required), and (2) a bed that he can easily transfer himself to and from, which basically means it has to be a precise height.
Our bed at the condo is on a built-in platform, so it can’t be easily moved. That means that the next project for the house will be building a bed. And that’s fine, since the bedroom is the first room that I want to decorate anyway.
I’ll be building a base that looks something like this:
(That picture is from Pottery Barn, but I don’t think they actually sell that bed, just the bedding.)
And then I’ll be adding an upholstered headboard as well.
In the meantime, I’ll be working on projects that are still incomplete in the condo. Remember that room with the white walls? I painted the desk turquoise...
And then I made that huge headboard…
And then I completely dropped the ball. We closed on the house, and the work in the condo became a distant memory as all of my attention was focused on my new playground…I mean…house. 🙂
Well, I need to finish up the condo. I’ll do as much as I can in the next few days. Then after the seven day curing time on the floors at the house has passed, I’ll head back over to the house and build the bed.
Hopefully then we can move in, move the rest of our stuff out of the condo, and then I can head back over here to the condo and get those last projects finished up (like our bedroom, which is virtually impossible to finish while we’re still living here and using it because I need to do lots of painting). Then I can get the condo staged just like I want it, get the thing on the market, and turn my attention completely to the house.
So for the next few weeks, it’ll just be a back and forth balancing act between the house and the condo. But don’t worry! There WILL be closure on (and a complete tour of) the condo.
On a final note, I just want to say how much y’all bless the heck out of me. Your comments and encouragement mean the world to me, and I love…LOVE…the fun interaction I get to have with so many of you, both here on the blog and on my Facebook page. It really makes my day. I feel like I’ve actually gotten to know so many of you, like we’re just good friends hanging out (virtually, of course) and high-fiving each other on our accomplishments, and encouraging each other when we’re feeling a bit discouraged. I truly feel blessed.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.